Latest

Latest

Author: Neptis - Mon Jan 16, 2017

Marcy Burchfield, Executive Director of the Neptis Foundation appeared on the TVO news show The Agenda to discuss transit equity and the question of whether public transit is similar to a social service or a public utility.

Author: Neptis - Fri Nov 11, 2016

Martha J. Shuttleworth, the President and Founder of the Neptis Foundation, is this year’s recipient of the David Crombie Award and will be honoured at the 13th annual Urban Leadership Awards hosted by the Canadian Urban InstituteThe David Crombie Award recognizes individuals who engage community, government and private sector partners to help regenerate and enhance the public realm in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. The awards committee noted that Martha’s philanthropic contribution in establishing the Neptis Foundation has revolutionized the way we make decisions in the Toronto region.

Author: Neptis - Fri Oct 14, 2016

This report takes a closer look at the Airport Megazone, one of the three suburban employment megazones identified in the 2015 report, Planning for Prosperity, and the second largest concentration of employment in Canada. That research report was intended to contribute to the Province of Ontario’s Coordinated Review of the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Greenbelt Plan, Oak Ridges Moraine Plan, and Niagara Escarpment Plan. The report described the changing economy and economic landscape of the Greater Golden Horseshoe, identifying important considerations for the Growth Plan.

Author: Neptis - Thu Oct 13, 2016

This Brief examines the question of serviced land in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). The first looked at how much land has been built on in the past decade in the GTHA and concluded that only 20% of the total greenfield land supply until 2031 has been built on.

Author: Neptis - Tue Oct 4, 2016

In a column published in the Globe and Mail, Marcy Burchfield, Executive Director of the Neptis Foundation argues against disingenuous suggestions that Ontario's Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe is responsible for a shortage of land and rising house prices. Burchfield writes that the argument deflects from the real policy solutions needed to address the pressing problem of housing affordability. It also has the potential to further weaken a provincial policy that is at best a modest attempt to bring a more co-ordinated approach to planning across the Toronto region and address the problems associated with low-density urban sprawl. 

Author: Neptis - Tue Oct 4, 2016

New analysis shows that since 2006 (the year the Growth Plan was established), only a small portion of the GTHA’s land supply for greenfield development has been built on. Neptis researchers have estimated that only about 10,800 of the 56,200 hectares was developed between 2006 and 2016; less than 20% of the total supply. That leaves 80% of the designated land supply to accommodate another 15 years’ worth of growth to 2031 and possibly beyond.

Author: Marcy Burchfield - Thu Aug 4, 2016

The proposed amendments to the 2016 Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe represent an important revision of the original 2006 Plan. But to succeed, loopholes must be filled and the province must step up to its role as regional planner.

Author: Marcy Burchfield - Tue May 17, 2016

The proposed amendments to the 2016 Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe represent an important revision of the original 2006 Plan. But to succeed, loopholes must be filled and the province must step up to its role as regional planner.

Author: Neptis - Mon Mar 7, 2016

The Neptis Foundation was cited recently as an example of How hilanthropy Funds Sustainability by Sustainable City Network (SCN) as a leading funder in scholarly reserach in public policy issues on land use, transportation and environmental issues.

Author: Neptis - Tue Jan 19, 2016

A Neptis Foundation report Planning for Prosperity which documents the current and evolving economic geography of the Toronto region was the subject of a recent panel discussion on TVO’s flagship show The Agenda. On hand to discuss the report with host Steve Paikin was author Pamela Blais, Marcy Burchfield, executive director of the Neptis Foundation and Jan De Silva, President and CEO of the Toronto Region Board of Trade.

Author: Neptis - Fri Nov 20, 2015

The Neptis Foundation is pleased to release a new report by Pamela Blais on the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe and the transforming regional economic geography of the  region.

Author: Neptis - Thu Nov 19, 2015

This report maps and analyzes the dynamics of long-term structural changes – not merely cyclical market fluctuations – brought about by globalization and rapidly evolving technology in the economy of the Greater Golden Horseshoe. The report concludes that the Growth Plan for the GGH is not grounded in the reality of the region’s economic geography.

Pages